.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hotel Overshare

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The other Saturday, I had two things that made me feel very very old.

One was when the quite OBVIOUSLY older lady in the Whole Foods (or Angry Store, as we like to call it) thought I was the same age as her whilst I was sniffing au-natural shampoos.

"You around my age, right? 49? 50?"

"Um.. no, 34"

"Oh SORRY"

Yah.

I felt pretty.

SECONDLY, I was working in the Library on Saturday and as I was leaving with the student worker that was in that day, the following conversation took place:

Me: Ooh I hope I don't have a parking ticket... Let's all hope I don't have a parking ticket, NO WHAMMIES, FOLKS, NO WHAMMIES!

Student: Oh yeah, hah... is that what you call parking tickets? Whammies?

And scene.

Wow. The day has come that people that are old enough to drink don't know what it means when someone says 'No Whammies'. I never imagined. So... old...

Anyway, I then proceeded to explain to him that No, there was a game show called Press Your Luck in the 80's where there was this screen thing and if you got whammies that looked like gremlins (and again with the blank look - all the kids can dress like Pat Benetar, it seems, but no one KNOWS what ACTUALLY happened in the 80's because they weren't BORN yet, man...) and if you hit them you lost money, ETC, ETC, ETC.

Needless to say, he was FASCINATED. (not) --> now that's an early 90's reference for all you kids out there. Watch Borat, there's a scene that explains it.

Whilst relaying this story to a friend of mine, she too knew of the pain of making pop culture references to the youngsters and no one knowing what the hell she was talking about. She then said, YouTube could solve all of my problems when this happens because pretty much EVERYTHING from television in the 80's was on there.

And so, without further delay, I bring you "Press Your Luck"*




Here's a little Wikipedia entry on the subject of Whammies for you kids as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whammy_%28Press_Your_Luck%29


*Please note, watching this clip, may cause flashbacks to being home from school delirious with fever. If a flashback *does* occur, stay seated, drink some "new" Coke, and tie a bandana around your thigh (over your jeans of course).

1 Comments:

  • That woman must have been retarded. I think you look young for your age, toots.

    By Blogger YewMalibu, at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Index | Related Pages | Powered by Wanabo